By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
Italian health officials reported an additional 1797 COVID-19 cases in the past day, bringing the country total to 9,172, the most in any country outside China.
Lombardy region alone has seen nearly 5,500 cases, with Emilia Romagna reporting almost 1,400.
The Italy death toll increased by 97, bringing the total to 463.
In a follow-up on the quarantine in Italy, Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte announced that he is extending restrictions already in place in the north.
“All the measure of the red zones are now extended to all of the national territory,” Conte said at a press conference on Monday evening, also announcing a ban on all public events.
It also been a real strain on the healthcare system in Lombardy region, the most affected area, where one officials said, “one step from collapse”.
- COVID-19: NY reports 37 additional cases, hand sanitizer to be made available free of charge
- Philippines reports 10 additional coronavirus cases, brings total to 20
- Spain COVID-19 case count rises to 999, Nearly half in Madrid
- COVID-19 in the Philippines: 10 cases, details on the 4 newest
- Costa Rica COVID-19 case count rises to 9, health alert raised to yellow
- France: COVID-19 cases top 1,000, Doubled in 2 days
- New York: COVID-19 cases top 100, Cuomo encourages telecommuting