By NewsDesk @bactiman63
In a follow-up on the situation onboard the Diamond Princess cruise ship quarantined in Yokohama Port, Japan health officials report (computer translated) an additional 88 new coronavirus cases, bringing the total to 542.
681 passengers and crew were tested, of which 88 were positive and the bulk were asymptomatic.
The quarantine is set to end tomorrow.
Health Minister Katsunobu Kato
Japan’s health minister, Katsunobu Kato urged the public Sunday to avoid crowds and “non-essential gatherings”, including notoriously packed commuter trains, to prevent the new coronavirus from spreading in the country.
Warning that the nation was “entering a new phase” in the outbreak of the virus especially with the number of community acquired cases, Kato said, “I think it’s important that we exercise Japan’s collective strength. We wish to ask the Japanese people for their cooperation and it will take everyone being united to tackle this infectious disease.”
To date, Japan has reported 66 COVID-19 cases.
- Measles complications can be many and varied, and more serious than people might realize: Study
- Dengue epidemic prompts ‘state of sanitary emergency’ in Paraguay Senate; Sent to Executive
- Taiwan, Hong Kong and China COVID-19 update
- Ethiopia chikungunya: No cases reported since early December
- DRC reports more than 200 monkeypox cases in January
- Uganda reports Crimean Congo hemorrhagic fever case in Kagadi district
- Haiti reports typhoid outbreak in North-East