The Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare reported Tuesday the first Omicron variant in a man in his 30s who traveled to Tokyo from Namibia.
The individual is identified as a Namibian diplomat.
Health authorities say he was asymptomatic when he arrived at Narita Airport on Sunday and developed a fever on Monday.
Reports note the diplomat was vaccinated twice.
The other 70 people onboard the plane are all being treated as possible contacts.
This all comes after the Japanese government imposed strict restrictions and border control measures to close its borders to foreign nationals effective November 30.
Namibia is one of the southern Africa countries which nations included on the list of countries for travel restrictions.
- Queensland reports 75% decrease in Ross River virus cases
- Oklahoma: Novel flu variant reported
- Sweden reports 1st Omicron case in person who returned from South Africa
- Portugal reports 13 Omicron cases among Belenenses SAD players
- Scotland reports 6 Omicron cases in Lanarkshire and Greater Glasgow & Clyde
- Canada reports two cases of the Omicron variant of concern in Ontario