By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
The third and latest case is a 35-year-old woman from Thatta who was received a dog bite two months ago. The two previous cases were also dog bites received 2-3 months ago.
It is estimated that Karachi alone reports 150 cases of dog-bites daily. In Pakistan, dogs contribute to up to 99 per cent of all rabies transmission to humans.
Rabies post exposure prophylaxis has reportedly been unavailable in some areas of Sindh province, prompting people to go to Karachi for vaccine.
Rabies is an acute viral infection that is transmitted to humans or other mammals usually through the saliva from a bite of an infected animal. It is also rarely contracted through breaks in the skin or contact with mucous membranes.
- India issues travel advisory for China due to novel coronavirus
- Novel coronavirus: Thailand reports 2nd confirmed case
- Nigeria closes out 2019 with two additional confirmed monkeypox cases
- Maine reports more than 2,000 Lyme disease cases in 2019
- Novel coronavirus in China: Diagnostic test, 2nd death in Wuhan
- E. coli O157:H7 outbreaks linked to romaine lettuce declared over
- Monkeypox alert issued in Eastern Cameroon: Media report
- Research: Pig virus, porcine deltacoronavirus, shows cross-species transmission to poultry
- Philippines polio case tally now 16, new cases from Maguindanao, Sultan Kudarat and Quezon City