Three people have been hospitalized in Chuka County, Kenya after eating tainted meat. The individuals are being treated for suspected anthrax and are in critical condition, according to a local news report.
In addition, some 10 others were treated at other facilities and discharged.
It is believed they ate anthrax infected cow and officials sent livestock officers to affected areas to investigate the situation.
According to the Merck Veterinary Manual, Anthrax is a zoonotic disease caused by the spore-forming bacterium Bacillus anthracis. Anthrax is most common in wild and domestic animals but can also be seen in humans exposed to tissue from infected animals, contaminated animal products or directly to B anthracis spores under certain conditions.
Depending on the route of infection, host factors, and potentially strain-specific factors, anthrax can have several different clinical presentations. In herbivores, anthrax commonly presents as an acute septicemia with a high fatality rate, often accompanied by hemorrhagic lymphadenitis.
B. anthracis spores can remain infective in soil for many years. During this time, they are a potential source of infection for grazing livestock. Grazing animals may become infected when they ingest sufficient quantities of these spores from the soil. In addition to direct transmission, biting flies may mechanically transmit B. anthracis spores from one animal to another.
People can get anthrax by handling contaminated animal or animal products, consuming undercooked meat of infected animals and more recently, intentional release of spores.
- MRSA Transmission Between Humans and Horses
- Spain reports rubella outbreak in Aragón, 1st time in years
- Nigeria continues to report monkeypox
- Slovakia: Measles outbreak in Trebišov district
- Measles outbreak reported in Madeira
- Rabies: 4th human death recorded in the Dominican Republic this year
- Hepatitis A in the US: More than 10,000 cases reported to CDC in 2018