A suspected anthrax tainted dead cow is being blamed for the death of a 5-year-old child at Mategeta village in Narok South Sub-County Saturday, according to the Kenyan news source, Standard Media. It is reported that the child and at least two adults became infected after consuming the dead cow meat.
The two adults are currently admitted at Narok County Hospital. Health officials fear more deaths are likely to occur because many more people took the tainted-beef home.
The three cases above comes after locals defied orders from public health officers who had told them not to consume the meat after three cows died.
Anthrax is a serious infectious disease caused by gram-positive, rod-shaped bacteria known as Bacillus anthracis. Anthrax can be found naturally in soil and commonly affects domestic and wild animals around the world. Although it is rare, people can get sick with anthrax if they come in contact with infected animals or contaminated animal products. For more infectious disease news and information, visit and “like” the Infectious Disease News Facebook page