Officials with the Southern Nevada Health District confirmed an imported measles case in an international traveler. This is the first confirmed case of measles in Clark County since 2015.
The patient is a previously vaccinated adult with a history of international travel. Health officials note that the measles vaccine is highly effective; however, some people may not be adequately protected.
Because measles can be highly contagious, the Health District is advising people who visited the following locations between Monday, Dec. 10 and Tuesday, Dec. 18 to review their immunization status and contact their health care providers if they are not fully immunized against measles and have not already had the disease.
In addition, they should contact their health care providers if they develop a rash with fever or other symptoms consistent with measles within 21 days after their visit to these locations. It is recommended that anyone with symptoms contact a health care provider’s office before entering a health care facility to allow the facility to make appropriate arrangements to ensure the illness is not spread.
- Young Israel Aish Las Vegas, 9590 W. Sahara Ave., Las Vegas 89117
Monday, Dec. 10 and Thursday, Dec. 13 or any synagogue-related activities during these dates.
- Trader Joe’s, 2315 Summa Dr., Ste. 100, Las Vegas 89135
Thursday, Dec. 13 between 4 p.m. and 8 p.m.
- Albertsons, 2550 S. Fort Apache Rd., Las Vegas 89117
Thursday, Dec. 13 between 6 p.m. and 10 p.m.
- Costco, 801 S. Pavilion Center Dr., Las Vegas 89144
Thursday, Dec. 13 between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- Smart & Final, 8485 W. Sahara Ave., Las Vegas 89117
Thursday, Dec. 13 between 10:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
- Starbucks, 340 E. Flamingo Rd., Las Vegas 89109
Friday, Dec. 14 between 12 p.m. and 4 p.m.
- Summerlin Hospital/Emergency Dept., 657 N. Town Center Dr., Las Vegas 89144
Sunday, Dec. 16 between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- Southern Nevada Health District, 280 S. Decatur Blvd., Las Vegas 89107
Monday, Dec. 17 between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. main lobby/immunization waiting area
- Simon and Joe’s, 3720 W. Tropicana Ave., Las Vegas 89103
Monday, Dec. 17 between 12 p.m. and 4 p.m.
The risk of disease is low for persons previously vaccinated against measles or diagnosed with the disease. Because individuals who are not immune to measles might have been exposed between Monday, Dec. 10 and Tuesday, Dec. 18, the Health District is alerting the community about the possibility of measles transmission so that Valley residents have an opportunity to receive a measles immunization. The Health District advises anyone who develops measles symptoms to seek medical attention.
- New Jersey: Measles warning issued at Newark airport
- Measles warning issued in South Australia
- Pakistan drug resistant typhoid outbreak tops 5,000: WHO
- Senegal declares end of dengue epidemic
- Madagascar measles outbreak grows, 2/3 of cases from Analamanga region
- Michigan: Legionella found at Hastings hospital
- California reports increase in congenital syphilis for 5th straight year
- New Caledonia reports rise in dengue fever
- Six disease combo vaccine, VAXELIS, receives FDA nod