The Southern Nevada Health District (SNHD) is investigating a suspect norovirus outbreak among employees and guests of the Westgate Las Vegas Resort & Casino. Local media reports that nearly 20 people have been sickened.
As part of the investigation, health officials are conducting a survey to gather information and assist in determining the extent of illness.
Norovirus is a highly contagious viral illness that often goes by other names, such as viral gastroenteritis, stomach flu, and food poisoning.
The symptoms include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and some stomach cramping. Sometimes people additionally have a low-grade fever, chills,headache, muscle aches, and a general sense of tiredness. The illness often begins suddenly, and the infected person may feel very sick. In most people, the illness is self-limiting with symptoms lasting for about 1 or 2 days. In general, children experience more vomiting than adults do.
Norovirus is spread person to person particularly in crowded, closed places. Norovirus is typically spread through contaminated food and water, touching surfaces or objects contaminated with norovirus and then putting your hand or fingers in your mouth and close contact with someone who is vomiting or has diarrhea.
Norovirus causes more than 20 million illnesses annually in the US, and it is the leading cause of gastroenteritis outbreaks in the United States.
- Charlotte: Dozens seek medical care for Shigella linked to birthday party cookout
- Shigella advisory issued in San Diego
- Sexually transmitted parasite, Trichomonas vaginalis, disproportionately affects the black community
- Gardasil used to treat patient with squamous cell carcinoma
- Capillaria philippinensis: First described in the 1960s in the Northern Philippines
- Plasmodium falciparum: A promising new assay to measure antibodies
- One dead, seven hospitalised as swine flu outbreak hits Namibia
- Rabies exposure in Weld County: Baby raccoon exposes 21
- Texas reports increase in Cyclospora cases since May
One thought on “Las Vegas: Suspect norovirus illnesses at Westgate Resort & Casino investigated”
I am at the Westgate casino Resort in Las Vegas since Friday the 29th of June and I have been poorly since Monday 2nd of July as I ate the buffet food , very poor quality, the shut down the buffet now they not give an explanation why but I believe the food is poison as I got food poison for few days , vomiting , diarrhoea muscles joint pain dizzy and, a fever is has been 5 days and still feel bad ? and the management doesn’t provide me any help and I am here until Friday the 13th of July,