In a follow-up on the leptospirosis situation in Puerto Rico post-Hurricane Fiona, the Department of Health reported on October 10 the following stats:
The Department of Health has received a total of 160 alerts for leptospirosis. These are distributed in: four (4) confirmed cases, twenty (20) probable cases, eighty-four (84) suspected cases and fifty-two (52) persons remain under investigation.
Currently, three (3) deaths are under investigation; one (1) confirmed case in the health region of
Arecibo [76-year-old man]; (1) probable case from Ponce Region [Male, 77 years old] and one (1) case
suspect in the Ponce health region [85-year-old man].
Most of the reported cases were men (78%). The median age was 41 years.
The Health Regions with the most total cases reported were Caguas (27) and Metropolitan (27). The municipalities with the highest number of total cases reported were Mayagüez (11) and Saint John (11). The municipality with the highest number of confirmed and probable cases was Caguas (4).
For the whole of 2022 to date, Puerto Rico has reported 226 total cases of leptospirosis, including 14 deaths.
- Haiti reports more cholera cases, 55 confirmed and 36 deaths
- Kasaï: 7 suspected cases of yellow fever reported in the health zone of Kamonia
- TGH Announces Bone Marrow Transplant Unit
- Meningococcal disease outbreak in São Paulo, Health officials reinforce importance of vaccination
- Brazil: Mato Grosso do Sul dengue case count now 16,453
- Laos dengue: ‘People must continue to exercise caution in October and November’
- Nigeria cholera: ‘Outbreak has been exacerbated by limited access to clean water and sanitation facilities, open defecation, and poor hygiene practices’
- South Africa: Measles outbreak reported in Limpopo Province
- Bahamas reports 1st cholera case in 5 years