By NewsDesk @bactiman63
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the U.S. Department of Agriculture and health officials from several states report investigating a multistate outbreak of Listeria monocytogenes infections linked to deli meats.
10 people were infected with the outbreak strain of Listeria monocytogenes from 3 states (New York (2), Massachusetts (7) and Florida (1).
All 10 people were hospitalized. One death has been reported from Florida.
In interviews with 9 ill people, all reported eating Italian-style meats, such as salami, mortadella, and prosciutto. They reported purchasing prepackaged deli meats and meats sliced at deli counters at various locations.
A specific type of deli meat and common supplier have not yet been identified.
CDC says people who are at higher risk for getting sick with Listeria should avoid eating deli meats, unless heated to an internal temperature of 165°F or until steaming hot just before serving.
Clean: Wash your hands after handling deli meats. Clean refrigerator shelves, kitchen countertops, utensils, and other surfaces that may have come into contact with deli meats.
Separate: Don’t let juice from deli meats get on other foods, utensils, and food preparation services.
Chill: Keep factory-sealed, unopened packages of deli meats in the refrigerator for no longer than 2 weeks. Keep opened packages and meat sliced at a local deli in the refrigerator for no longer than 5 days.
- California: St. Louis encephalitis case reported in Stockton, 1st case in nearly 50 years
- Costa Rica: 27 deaths due to methanol intoxication, 7,450 liters of tainted liquor seized
- Los Angeles officials report 2 additional cases of multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children
- New Hampshire reports potential community COVID-19 exposures linked to establishments in Portsmouth and Concord
- Fiji: Health Minister speaks at the Leptospirosis, Typhoid, Dengue and Diarrhea campaign launch
- Philippines: Davao City reports most new COVID-19 cases, Measles/Polio vaccination campaign in La Union