Earlier this week, the Pennsylvania government warned the public that as the weather gets warmer and you spend more time outdoors, be aware of ticks and Lyme disease.
Pennsylvania has reported the ticks that carry Lyme disease and other infectious agents in all 67 counties and has reported at or near the top of all states in the US in Lyme disease cases.
Nationally, Lyme disease cases continue to rise and spread.
On today’s podcast, I want to look at the ecology and ticks.
My guest today is disease ecologist with the Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies, Richard Ostfeld, PhD.
Other podcasts you may enjoy:
- Asian longhorned ticks with Maria Diuk-Wasser, PhD
- Chronic Wasting Disease and the CIDRAP program
- Japanese encephalitis with Dr. Melvin Sanicas
- Venezuela epidemics: From measles to malaria with Dr. Alberto Paniz-Mondolfi
- Vaccines, autism and a very important book
- Madariaga virus with Dr Glenn Morris
- Rabies: The fatal Virginia case and some important lessons
- Chikungunya and Lyme vaccine candidates with Valneva CEO Thomas Lingelbach
- Enterovirus D68, Acute flaccid myelitis and some of the research