By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
Health authorities in Spain continue to see a rapid rise in coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases. According to officials, 2,277 cases have been reported, including 54 deaths.
In Madrid, more than 1,000 cases are reported with 31 deaths. Also of note in the country is País Vasco (225), La Rioja (179) and Cataluña (156), each reporting significant case numbers.
Areas with community transmission in Spain include the Autonomous Communities of Madrid and La Rioja and the municipalities of La Bastida and Vitoria (Basque Country).
In addition, government officials made the following announcements:
- Direct flights from Italy to Spain are prohibited from March 11 to 25 and trips to Imserso are suspended during the next month.
- In Madrid, La Rioja, Vitoria and Labastida, since they are areas of significant transmission, activities in closed spaces that bring together more than a thousand people are suspended.
- The government maintains close coordination with both the autonomous communities and the European authorities to address this public health challenge, prioritizing the health of citizens.
- Italy COVID-19 death toll rises by 200, WHO declares pandemic
- Jamaica reports 1st COVID-19 case
- Massachusetts: Governor Charlie Baker declares State of Emergency as COVID-19 cases push 100
- Philippines reports additional 16 COVID-19 cases, New Clark City repatriates released
- New Jersey COVID-19: Governor Phil Murphy declares State of Emergency, 1st death reported
- Costa Rica COVID-19 update: 13 cases reported to date, public events cancelled