Malaysia health officials reported ( computer translated) more than 38,000 dengue fever cases through April 6.
Of this total, 59 fatalities have been reported.
Nearly six out of 10 cases have been reported from Selangor state, followed by Kuala Lumpur and Johor.
There are reports of the future release of Wolbachia-infected Aedes mosquitoes to try to stem the spread of dengue.
In all of 2018, 80,615 and 147 deaths were reported.
Dengue is a viral infection transmitted by the bite of an infected mosquito. There are four closely related but antigenically different serotypes of the virus that can cause dengue (DEN1, DEN 2, DEN 3, DEN 4).
- Dengue Fever (DF) – marked by an onset of sudden high fever, severe headache, pain behind the eyes, and pain in muscles and joints. Some may also have a rash and varying degree of bleeding from various parts of the body (including nose, mouth and gums or skin bruising).Dengue has a wide spectrum of infection outcome (asymptomatic to symptomatic). Symptomatic illness can vary from dengue fever (DF) to the more serious dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF).
- Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF) – is a more severe form, seen only in a small proportion of those infected. DHF is a stereotypic illness characterized by 3 phases; febrile phase with high continuous fever usually lasting for less than 7 days; critical phase (plasma leaking) lasting 1-2 days usually apparent when fever comes down, leading to shock if not detected and treated early; convalescence phase lasting 2-5 days with improvement of appetite, bradycardia (slow heart rate), convalescent rash (white patches in red background), often accompanied by generalized itching (more intense in palms and soles), and diuresis (increase urine output).
- Dengue Shock Syndrome (DSS) — Shock syndrome is a dangerous complication of dengue infection and is associated with high mortality. Severe dengue occurs as a result of secondary infection with a different virus serotype. Increased vascular permeability, together with myocardial dysfunction and dehydration, contribute to the development of shock, with resultant multiorgan failure.
- Mumps confirmed at Penn State
- Suspected anthrax outbreak in Kenya
- Texas: Health officials investigate mumps cases in Hidalgo County
- Baltimore area: Measles case confirmed, Possible exposure in Pikesville
- Guyana update: 2nd Chinese worker died from leptospirosis
- Canada: Salmonella outbreak reported in six provinces
- Measles case confirmed in Indiana, Exposure risks also in Texas, MIchigan
- Infectious disease news brief: Florida Hepatitis A outbreak
- The rise of measles in the US: Dr. Bernhard Wiedermann on C-SPAN