On June 17th, an unvaccinated child visiting from another state was evaluated in the Martha’s Vineyard Emergency Department and diagnosed with measles.
While the child was immediately identified and subsequently isolated from the community, we know that individuals on the island were exposed to the virus during a phase of the illness in which the patient is infectious but has no symptoms. A list of known times and dates of exposures are shown below. Other exposures are likely to have occurred. The patient is considered infectious from Monday 6/8/15 through Wednesday 6/17/15.
- West Tisbury Public Library June 8 from 11:00am-3:00pm.
- Aquinnah Library Tuesday on June 9th from 3:00-5:30pm and Thursday June 11 from 3:30-6:30pm
- Martha’s Vineyard Airport Laundromat in West Tisbury on Friday June 12 from 1:00pm-5:00 pm.
- Sharky’s Cantina in Oak Bluffs Tuesday on June 16 7:30-10:30pm.
- Ryan’s Family Amusements in Oak Bluffs on June 16 5:30-9:30pm
Vaccination Clinic: If you or your children are un-immunized, Martha’s Vineyard Hospital will be holding a Measles Immunization Clinic in the Doctor’s wing of the old Hospital on Wednesday, June 24th from 5:00pm to 9:00pm and again on Thursday, June 25th from 5:00pm to 9:00pm. Both clinics will be free of charge.
What is measles? Measles is a very contagious disease that usually lasts a week or two. It can cause serious problems like ear infections, pneumonia, swelling of the brain in some people, especially pregnant women, infants, and those with weakened immune systems. Adults are also at increased risk for severe disease and may need to be hospitalized due to complications. As it is a virus, antibiotics will not help treat this disease. Vaccination and precautions to prevent the disease are the first line of defense. Once you have the disease, only supportive care is given while your body deals with the disease.
- If you have been immunized, have had measles in the past, or have had blood work indicating you have immunity to the disease, there is nothing to do.
- If you or your children are un-immunized, Martha’s Vineyard Hospital will be holding a Measles Immunization Clinic in the Doctor’s wing of the old Hospital on Wednesday, June 24th from 5pm to 9pm and on Thursdays, June 25th from 5pm to 9pm. Both clinics will be free of charge.
- If you are uncertain as to the immunization status of you or your child, contact your Primary Care doctor.