The Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) is issuing a public health alert due to a finding of Listeria monocytogenes in sample of Chicken Caesar Salad sold at Sam’s Club in Novi, MI.
The product is packaged in an 11 oz. clear plastic clamshell container, labeled “Chicken Caesar Salad” with the name “Daily Chef” on the label and a sell by date of July 31, 2014. The product was sold from the deli at the Sam’s Club located at 27300 Wixom Road in Novi, Michigan.
The problem was discovered when routine product sampling by MDARD personnel tested positive for Listeria monocytogenes on August 4, 2014.
No illnesses have been linked with this product to date.
Consumption of food contaminated with L. monocytogenes can cause listeriosis, a serious infection. Older adults, persons with weakened immune systems, and pregnant women and their newborns are at higher risk of developing illness.
Listeriosis can cause fever, muscle aches, headache, stiff neck, confusion, loss of balance and convulsions sometimes preceded by diarrhea or other gastrointestinal symptoms. An invasive infection spreads beyond the gastrointestinal tract. In pregnant women, the infection can cause miscarriages, stillbirths, premature delivery or life-threatening infection of the newborn. In addition, serious and sometimes fatal infections in older adults and persons with weakened immune systems. Listeriosis is treated with antibiotics. Persons in the higher-risk categories who experience flu-like symptoms within two months after eating contaminated food should seek medical care and tell the health care provider about eating the contaminated food.
Consumers who may still have this product in their homes should immediately discard it. If someone has consumed it and has concerns regarding listeriosis, they should contact their health care provider.