A mother and two daughters have died due to botulism in Ouarzazate in south-central Morocco, according to a L’Economiste report (computer translated). It is reported that the father was not sickened as he was traveling at the time.
The source of the botulism has not been pinpointed to date.
Food borne botulism is a severe intoxication caused by eating the preformed toxin present in contaminated food.
Food borne botulism occurs when the bacterium Clostridium botulinum is allowed to grow and produce toxin in food that is later eaten without sufficient heating or cooking to inactivate the toxin. Botulinum toxin is one of the most potent neurotoxins known.
Typically in a few hours to several days after you eat the contaminated food you will start to show the classic symptoms; blurred vision, dry mouth, and difficulty in swallowing. Gastrointestinal symptoms may or may not occur. If untreated, the paralysis always descends through the body starting at the shoulders and working its way down.
The most serious complication of botulism is respiratory failure where it is fatal in up to 10% of people. It may take months before recovery is complete.
If the disease is caught early enough it can be treated with antitoxin. If paralysis and respiratory failure happen, the person may be on a ventilator for several weeks.
- Syria polio update: 17 cases of cVDPV2 have now been confirmed including one in Raqqa
- Japanese encephalitis confirmed in Pingtung County
- The race to contain cholera epidemic, King Salman Centre to support response
- Indiana report first human West Nile virus cases
- Florida: Mumps case confirmed in Duval County
- Outbreak News This Week: Dog flu, Travel health
- Hepatitis E outbreak update in Diffa, Niger