By NewsDesk @bactiman63
The Yangon Region Public Health Department has reported 670 dengue fever cases since the beginning of the year, including eight deaths, according to a Eleven Myanmar report.
Fatalities have been reported in both adults and children.
Public Health Department has directed officials to systematically carry out prevention and control of DHF at the basic education schools due to the rampant number of DHF cases in some regions and states including Yangon as every year, the transmission of DHF in Yangon, Mandalay and Taninthayi is usually high, according to health department deputy head, Dr. Myo Thant.
Dengue is a viral infection transmitted by the bite of an infected mosquito. There are four closely related but antigenically different serotypes of the virus that can cause dengue (DEN1, DEN 2, DEN 3, DEN 4).
Subscribe to Outbreak News TV on YouTube
- Dengue Fever (DF) – marked by an onset of sudden high fever, severe headache, pain behind the eyes, and pain in muscles and joints. Some may also have a rash and varying degree of bleeding from various parts of the body (including nose, mouth and gums or skin bruising).Dengue has a wide spectrum of infection outcome (asymptomatic to symptomatic). Symptomatic illness can vary from dengue fever (DF) to the more serious dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF).
- Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF) – is a more severe form, seen only in a small proportion of those infected. DHF is a stereotypic illness characterized by 3 phases; febrile phase with high continuous fever usually lasting for less than 7 days; critical phase (plasma leaking) lasting 1-2 days usually apparent when fever comes down, leading to shock if not detected and treated early; convalescence phase lasting 2-5 days with improvement of appetite, bradycardia (slow heart rate), convalescent rash (white patches in red background), often accompanied by generalized itching (more intense in palms and soles), and diuresis (increase urine output).
- Dengue Shock Syndrome (DSS) — Shock syndrome is a dangerous complication of dengue infection and is associated with high mortality. Severe dengue occurs as a result of secondary infection with a different virus serotype. Increased vascular permeability, together with myocardial dysfunction and dehydration, contribute to the development of shock, with resultant multiorgan failure.
- Campylobacter outbreak hits Askøy, Norway
- Western, Eastern and Venezuelan equine encephalitis: Vaccine provides protection in nonhuman primates
- Kaohsiung City local dengue cases now at 20
- Hong Kong: Scabies outbreak reported at Tuen Mun elderly home
- Vibrio vulnificus infection reported in Corpus Christi, Texas
- Syphilis and HIV cases up in northwest Saskatchewan
- Uganda Health Ministry quells Ebola rumors in Wakiso
One thought on “Myanmar: Hundreds of dengue cases reported in Yangon”