Lats month, Myanmar health officials reported a measles death in a young child in Mandalay region, according to local media.
In 2017 and 2018, Myanmar reported 1,293 and 1,330 measles cases, respectively. About 75% of these cases were under 15 years of age.
From Feb. 17 through Feb. 28, health officials held a Measles supplementary immunization campaign in 7 townships of Yangon Region. Yangon region accounted for about 50 percent of nationwide.
The campaign targeted from 9 months up to 15 years of age in the townships of Hlaingtharyar, Insein, Mingaladon, Dagon East, Dagon Seikkan, Dagon South and Shwepyithar.
Measles has risen dramatically in Myanmar in recent years. In 2014 and 2015, 122 and six cases were reported in the country, respectively. This of course risen to more than 1,300 cases last year.
Health officials say the cumulative number of unimmunized children in Myanmar reached a level where the country would face measles outbreaks.
- Florida: 232 hepatitis A cases reported in February
- MERS: 76 cases reported in February
- Ebola, violence on health workers and more cases
- Uganda: Probable pneumonic plague reported in Zombo District
- Measles: 2,200 additional cases reported in the Philippines in 5 days
- Publix, Winn-Dixie announce recall of Pillsbury Unbleached All Purpose Flour due to Salmonella risk
- New Zealand: 25 measles cases reported in Canterbury