The Outbreak News This Week Radio Show is prerecorded every Thursday and airs Sundays at 1 pm ET in the Tampa Bay area and worldwide streaming. I don’t typically put out the podcast of the show until after the show airs; however, I wanted for people to hear this particular show ahead of time.
I was honored to have an in-studio guest this week who had a deeply heartfelt story to tell, which resulted in some very important work in the area of amoeba awareness.
Steve Smelski is the father of Jordan Smelski, who sadly lost his life about four years ago to the devastating parasitic infection, Primary amoebic encephalitis (PAM) caused by the free-living amoeba, Naegleria fowleri.
Steve graciously and courageously shared with the audience Jordan’s story concerning contracting the amoeba and the situation at the hospital.
Steve, along with his wife Shelly also started the Jordan Smelski Foundation for Amoeba Awareness and he discussed some of the great work the foundation is doing for this cause.
The Outbreak News This Week Radio Show, the first and only radio program dedicated to infectious disease and health news and information, airs every Sunday at 1 pm ET in the Tampa Bay area on AM 1380 The Biz and online at http://1380thebiz.com/
Related shows and podcasts:
- Naegleria fowleri: An interview with Dr Jennifer Cope
- Balamuthia, neti pots and a unique case report
- Naegleria fowleri: A personal story
- Naegleria fowleri: Study on death estimates, treatment success and the northward expansion of infections
- Balamuthia mandrillaris: Koral Reef’s story
- Outbreak News Radio: Naegleria fowleri and amoeba awareness: Personal stories and the great work from ‘Kyle Cares’ and ‘Swim Above Water’
- Acanthamoeba: A rare and potentially blinding parasite
- Naegleria fowleri drug research: An interview with Dennis Kyle, PhD
- News about 2013 survivor, Kali Hardig
- ‘Monsters Inside Me’ to feature the Kyle Lewis story