By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
Authorities with the City of Lake Jackson, Texas, in the Greater Houston metropolitan area issued a disaster declaration Saturday after the parasite, Naegleria fowleri was found in water samples during an investigation of a child that contracted the amoeba.
Based on what the information from the family, water samples were collected from the Lake Jackson Civic Center Splash Pad and tested negative by a private lab.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) were contacted and more intensive testing was performed to include from the splash pad and water at the child’s home.
It was announced that three of 11 water samples tested preliminarily positive for the parasite–the splash pad storage tank, a hose at the child’s home and a dead end fire hydrant near the splash pad.
Officials note that chlorine was detected in the water samples.
The Brazosport Water Authority issued a Do-Not-Use water advisory Friday for 10 other areas and Lake Jackson and today lifted the advisory for all areas except Lake Jackson.
Lake Jackson Mayor, Bob Sipple issued the Disaster declaration and opened the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) this morning.