In 2009, infectious disease physician and University of South Florida professor, Dr. Sandra Gompf and her husband lost their son Philip to the parasite , Naegleria fowleri. In this 2015 interview, Dr Gompf joined me to discuss the amoeba, Philip’s infection, awareness campaigns she is involved in, new developments at the time in diagnostics and treatment and some prevention advise for other parents.
Check out their website Amoeba-Season.com for a plethora of great information on Naegleria fowleri and to donate to the USF Philip T. Gompf Memorial Fund
Visit and “like” the Facebook page HERE
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Stitcher | RSS
Simvastatin Heart Medication – as low as $24.32 USD per pack. Canadian-sourced. Order online at YouDrugstore.com.
- Balamuthia mandrillaris: Koral Reef’s story
- Naegleria fowleri: An interview with Dr Jennifer Cope
- Naegleria fowleri: Study on death estimates, treatment success and the northward expansion of infections
- Florida DOH encourages safe swim habits including Naegleria prevention
- Miltefosine and the 4th Naegleria fowleri survivor: Talking with Profounda CEO, Todd MacLaughlan
- Naegleria fowleri drug research: An interview with Dennis Kyle, PhD
- Outbreak News Radio: Naegleria fowleri and amoeba awareness: Personal stories and the great work from ‘Kyle Cares’ and ‘Swim Above Water’
2 thoughts on “Naegleria fowleri: A personal story”