By NewsDesk @bactiman63
The New Caledonia Department of Health and Social Affairs is reporting increases in three infectious diseases during the first three months of 2021.
An increasing number of dengue cases have been notified in New Caledonia since the beginning of the year: 54 cases (41 confirmed cases, 12 probable cases and 1 possible case) of which 37 cases have been identified as DENV-2, were reported between 01 January 2021 and 29 March 2021.
In all of 2020, 63 cases of dengue, including 8 cases imported from French Polynesia and 1 case from Vanuatu were reported.
The population is asked to perform the following actions:
- destroy the breeding sites by eliminating anything that can collect rainwater, watering, storage (containers, bulky items, gutters, etc.) inside and around the dwellings,
- protect yourself from mosquito bites,
- destroy adult mosquitoes,
- avoid travel and protect yourself from mosquito bites in the event of illness, so as not to spread the virus,
- consult a doctor as soon as signs appear.
Officials have also seen a rise in leptospirosis cases. Since the beginning of the year, 127 cases were reported through 29 March 2021, in comparison to 69 cases reported last year (total cases reported in 2020).
Health officials say it is necessary to limit the proliferation of rodents. For this, it is recommended to keep food in closed boxes, to eliminate household garbage around homes, to collect fallen fruit from trees, or even to ratify.
In the workplace, personal protective equipment (gloves, boots, coveralls or protective clothing, splash goggles, etc.) must be worn.
In the event of a wound, wash with plenty of drinking water and soap (for 30 seconds), disinfect with an antiseptic solution, protect the wound with an impermeable bandage.
Lastly, an outbreak of Hepatitis A is ongoing in New Caledonia: 101 cases were reported between 01 January 2021 and 29 March 2021, in comparison to 100 cases reported last year (total cases reported in 2020).
- SpillOver app ranks risk of wildlife-to-human viruses, Lassa tops list
- Philippines COVID-19 cases top 800K, Hospital augmentation in Metro Manila
- Washington: Campylobacter infections linked to unpasteurized raw milk
- Herpes virus symptoms: Differences may relate to variations in strain gene expression
- Paraguay dengue: DEN-2 predominates the country
- Peru: To prevent spread of Brazil variant, officials recommend double masking
- Zika vaccine generated from a novel platform technology successful in preclinical studies