By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy announced today and additional 3,482 new positive COVID-19 cases, bringing the state total to 37,505.
The most cases have been reported from Bergen (6187), Essex (4082), Hudson (3924) and Passaic (3227) counties.
On Thursday, Governor Murphy signed Executive Order No. 113, authorizing the New Jersey State Director of Emergency Management to use the Governor’s full authority under the Disaster Control Act to commandeer personal services and/or real or personal property. This includes medical supplies and equipment from private companies and institutions in order to help meet the continued need for ventilators and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in the State in hospitals, health care facilities, and emergency response agencies due to the ongoing outbreak of COVID-19.
“We must continue to take action to meet the critical medical needs of our hospitals and medical centers during this pandemic,” said Governor Murphy. “While we look forward to these facilities cooperating in providing this equipment, this order gives the Office of Emergency Management the express authority to protect the public health, safety, and welfare by ensuring that supplies go to where they are most needed.”
Executive Order No. 113 authorizes New Jersey State Police Superintendent Colonel Patrick Callahan, the State Director of Emergency Management, to take or use resources from private sources in order to address the continued pressing public health concern presented by COVID-19. This authority shall be exercised in consultation with the Department of Health. The Order also states that compensation for such takings will be provided by the procedures established under the Disaster Control Act.
- Philippines COVID-19 update: Chinese medical experts arrived in Manila
- SARS-CoV-2 vaccine progress moving rapidly: Flinders University
- Vietnam: Vingroup Starts to Produce Ventilators and Body Thermometers
- Costa Rica: 435 COVID-19 cases, Private sector and NGO help
- New Orleans COVID-19 case count nears 4000, Jazz great Ellis Marsalis dies
- Trial drug can significantly block early stages of COVID-19 in engineered human tissues
- COVID-19: Florida becomes 2nd state to test more 100,000 people