By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
New York Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced the confirmation of 7,377 additional cases of novel coronavirus, bringing the statewide total to 44,635 confirmed cases in New York State.
New York City reported an additional 4,000 cases today, bringing the country’s most populous city to more than 25,000.
Well over 400 deaths have been reported statewide, with most in NYC.
Governor Cuomo also announced that the first 1,000-bed temporary hospital is now complete at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center. This temporary hospital site is part of the Governor’s goal of having a 1,000-plus patient overflow facility in each NYC borough as well as Westchester, Rockland, Nassau and Suffolk counties.
Governor Cuomo also announced the state and Army Corp of Engineers have toured and identified four new sites for temporary hospitals for construction by the Army Corps of Engineers – the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, the Aqueduct Racetrack facility in Queens, CUNY Staten Island and the New York Expo Center in the Bronx – adding an additional 4,000 beds to the state’s capacity. The Governor is asking President Trump to approve these sites immediately so construction can begin.
These new temporary hospital sites — together with the site at the JavitsCenter and the temporary hospitals that are being built at locations at SUNY Stony Brook, SUNY Old Westbury and the Westchester Convention Center — are part of the Governor’s plan to create thousands of new beds to bolster existing hospital capacity, with the goal of being open to patients in early- to mid-April.
Nationally, the United States has eclipsed the 100,000 case mark today, including well over 1200 deaths.
- Italy records nearly 1000 deaths in one day
- South Africa COVID-19 cases top 900
- Philippines: COVID-19 cases top 800, 54 deaths; Telemedicine guidelines being finalized
- Costa Rica COVID-19 case count now 231, Five private laboratories approved to perform coronavirus test
- Nigeria reports decrease in new confirmed Lassa fever cases
- COVID-19 potential therapeutic options: A minireview
- Chikungunya vaccine: Valneva completes End-of-Phase 2 meeting with FDA
- Pangolins could be the missing link for SARS-CoV-2 transmission between bats and humans