By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
In Africa, the disease has spread to over 30 countries since the first case was reported in late February, now affecting all countries except for Lesotho.
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) reported 195 cases in the last 24 hours in 13 states – Lagos (82), Kano (30), Zamfara (19), Sokoto (18), Borno (10), FCT (9), Oyo (8), Kebbi (5), Gombe(5), Ogun(4), Katsina (3), Kaduna(1) and Adamawa(1).
This brings the country total to 3,145.
In addition, five deaths were recorded in the last 24 hours in three states plus FCT – Kano (2), FCT (1), Kebbi (1) and Zamfara (1).
In total, Lagos has reported 1308 cumulative cases, followed by Kano (427), FCT (316), Borno (116)and Gombe (103) states.
As of 5 May 2020, a cumulative total of 32,953 confirmed COVID-19 cases with 1,193 deaths (case fatality ratio 3.6%) have been reported across the 46 affected countries in the WHO African region.
- Russia reports jump in COVID-19 infections, ‘Diagnostics have become more actively used’ according to Chief Infectionist
- Taiwan reports additional Hantavirus hemorrhagic fever case
- 3D human tissue culture model demonstrates a possible relationship between Alzheimer’s disease and herpes simplex virus I infection
- Bat-virus adaptation may explain species spillover, researchers say
- Antibiotics: RECARBRIO vs. PIP/TAZ Phase 3 clinical trial results
- Indonesia: Dengue cases spike in a time of COVID-19
- Brazil COVID-19 update: Cases top 115K, Minister of Health Nelson Teich visits Manaus hospitals
- Measles outbreak in Burundi: Started in a refugee transit camp
- Mutations in SARS-CoV-2 offer insights into virus evolution