By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
Officials with the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) report intensifying efforts as increasing number of Lassa fever cases are reported across states in the country.
As at the 24th of January 2020, 195 confirmed cases and 29 deaths had been reported in 11 states. Of the confirmed cases, 89% are from Ondo, Edo and Ebonyi States. The increase in the number of cases at this time of the year is not unusual due to ecological factors.
The NCDC continues to support states in strengthening their preparedness and response capacity. Over the last three weeks, NCDC has deployed Rapid Response Teams to support five of the affected states.
The Honorable Minister of Health, Dr. Osagie Ehanire led a high-level delegation to Kano State on the 25th of January 2020, following the deaths of two health workers infected with Lassa fever. In addition, NCDC has rapidly increased risk communications and community engagement activities to ensure that Nigerians are aware of the risks of Lassa fever and measures to protect themselves.
NCDC continues to support treatment centres across states in the country to effectively manage Lassa fever cases.
In addition, five laboratories in Nigeria have the capacity to diagnose Lassa fever in Nigeria. These laboratories are critical to reducing turnaround time between identifying a suspected case and confirmation. This ensures prompt case management and other response activities, thereby reducing the number of deaths.
Nigeria is contributing to research and other activities for the development of a Lassa fever vaccine. NCDC and the three main treatment centres in the country- Irrua Specialist Teaching Hospital, Federal Medical Centre Owo and Alex Ekwueme Federal Teaching Hospital Abakalilki- are set to commence Lassa fever epidemiological studies that will provide data to guide research and response activities.
- Trichinosis cases reported in Central Spain
- Florida Sen. Rick Scott: ‘We have to get serious about the threat of coronavirus coming from China’
- Dengue outbreak in Paraguay: DEN-4 predominant, President Abdo falls victim
- China coronavirus cases near 1300, Australia confirms first case
- France: Three 2019-nCoV cases confirmed
- Dengue in 2019, the vaccines and the quest for a World Dengue Day
- Hong Kong reports three additional imported cases of novel coronavirus infection