In a follow-up to a report on the suspected norovirus outbreak linked to a Boston-area Chipotle Mexican Grill, Boston health officials are reporting the etiology has been confirmed as norovirus by laboratory testing.
Officials at Boston College Student Heath reported today that more than 120 BC students have reported to BC Health Services with symptoms consistent with the Norovirus. Nearly all cases are related to students who ate at the Chipotle restaurant in Cleveland Circle during the past weekend.
Norovirus is highly contagious and easily passed among those in close proximity. Boston College has received reports of students’ roommates contracting the illness; to prevent the continued transmission of the virus, we urge residents to take proper precautions to prevent the spread of illness, which include: washing your hands regularly, avoiding close contact or sharing food and drink with others who might be ill, and staying home if you are ill.
According to Thomas I. Nary M.D., Director, University Health Services & Sports Medicine at Boston College, the school has taken several proactive steps to deal with this outbreak, including:
- Facilities staff has redoubled their efforts to carefully clean all common-touch surfaces in public spaces, including restrooms and dining facilities, as well as academic and administrative offices, residence halls, and athletic facilities.
- All dining locations have stopped self-service (e.g. salad bars) as of noon today as a precautionary measure.
- BC Dining Services will offer “Flu Buddy Packs” at Corcoran, McElroy and Stuart, which friends can purchase for their sick roommates. They will also allow a friend to purchase food for their sick roommate.
2 thoughts on “Norovirus confirmed in Boston outbreak, BC says more than 120 students affected”