By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
Health officials in Macao reported (computer translated) a confirmed second case of new coronavirus in a 66-year-old male tourist from Wuhan.
He was detected by the health bureau quarantine staff as having fever and temperature when entering Macau through the checkpoint yesterday. At 38.7 degrees, he was rushed to the special emergency department of Earl General Hospital for further examination. After testing, he tested positive for the new coronavirus.
WHO Emergency Committee to reconvene today
Yesterday, WHO Director General Tedros announced that the Emergency IHR Committee was divided on whether to declare a PHEIC (Public Health Emergency of International Concern).
They are expected to meet again today in Geneva.
Hong Kong officials investigate the second highly suspected imported case
The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) reported investigating a second highly suspected imported case of novel coronavirus infection.
The case involved a 56-year-old male who is a Hong Kong resident with good past health. He travelled to Wuhan on January 10 and took the flight (Air China flight CA8279) from Wuhan to Shenzhen on January 19 and then returned to Hong Kong via Lo Wu Control Point by MTR on the same day by himself. He developed fever since January 18 but reported to have no respiratory symptoms. The patient sought medical attention at the Accident and Emergency Department (A&ED) at Prince of Wales Hospital (PWH) on January 19 and hospitalisation was not required. He re-visited the PWH’s A&ED for follow-up on January 21 and was admitted for isolation and management by the hospital as his fever did not subside. He is now in stable condition and was transferred to Princess Margaret Hospital for isolation and management yesterday.
The patient’s respiratory samples were preliminarily tested positive for novel coronavirus.
Death toll rises to 17 in Hubei
Officials in Hubei province announced yesterday (computer translated) that they have reported a total of 444 cases of pneumonia and 17 deaths.
- Novel coronavirus: Enhanced monitoring will be in place from all direct flights from Wuhan to Heathrow, London
- Hong Kong officials investigate ‘ highly suspected’ imported novel coronavirus
- Flu vaccination: Fully vaccinating children cuts hospitalization in half, according to researchers
- Philippines DOH declares dengue epidemic ‘over’, more than 400K cases reported in 2019
- Novel coronavirus case reported in Macao, 9th case reported outside China
- Thailand reports 1st Thai patient with coronavirus, country total now 4