By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
Oregon state and local health officials are reporting two measles exposures linked to an individual with the disease who passed through Portland International Airport earlier this month.
The two cases, a Lane County resident and a visitor to Washington County, have been diagnosed with measles.
The two new cases reportedly were on the same international flight that landed in Portland on Oct. 12, according to the Oregon Health Authority. OHA epidemiologists are working with public health staff in both counties to confirm sites where others may have been exposed.
None of the cases have been fully vaccinated against measles.
“Measles is a highly infectious disease, and it doesn’t take much to spread it from one person to another, particularly in the close quarters of an airline flight,” said Ann Thomas, MD, public health physician at OHA. “It’s a good reminder of how important it is to make sure all adults and children in your household are up to date on vaccines.”
Most Oregonians have been vaccinated against measles and their risk is low. Risk may be higher for unvaccinated persons who may have been exposed at one of the following locations, dates and times:
- Saturday, Oct. 12
- 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Portland International Airport, Delta Air Lines Inc., Flight 0179 from Amsterdam (AMS) to Portland (PDX)
- Wednesday, Oct. 23
- 4-7:00 p.m., Blue Mist, 1400 Valley River Dr., Suite 130, Eugene
- 6-9:00 p.m., North Fork Public House, 2805 Shadowview, Eugene
- Sunday, Oct. 20
- 12:15-3:45 p.m., Wu’s Open Kitchen, 15660 SW Pacific Hwy, Tigard
- 4:45-8:00 p.m., Costco, 25900 SW Heather Pl, Willsonville
- Wednesday, Oct 23
- 1:15-3:45 p.m., Tous Les Jours, 11735 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy, Beaverton
- 1:45-4:15 p.m., Starbucks inside Target, 10775 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy, Beaverton
- Monday, Oct. 21
- 12:15-2:45 p.m., Trader Joe’s, 15391 SW Bangy Rd, Lake Oswego
Additional exposure sites might be added as the investigation continues.
One thought on “Oregon: Measles exposures linked to Portland International Airport”