On today’s show I spend a lot of time looking at the flu shot/flu season in light of the recent pediatric death reported here in Florida. I look at some disturbing trends and beliefs when it comes to flu shots and vaccines in general.
Does the flu shot cause the flu? A survey by Orlando Health says half of parents believe this! In addition, a CS Mott study shows that 1 in 25 parents had postponed a vaccine due to child’s fear.
I also look at a fantastic commentary on vaccine misinformation in the journal, Nature.
In the second half, I look at the latest from the CDC on the acute flaccid myelitis (AFM) situation in the United States in 2018.
The Outbreak News This Week Radio Show, the first and only radio program dedicated to infectious disease and health news and information, airs every Sunday at 1 pm ET in the Tampa Bay area on AM 1380 The Biz and online at http://1380thebiz.com/
- No, the Flu Shot Is Not 100 Percent Effective. Yes, You Still Need It
- CDC Flu Vaccines page
- Half of parents think flu shot causes the flu
- 1 in 25 parents had postponed a vaccine due to child’s fear
- Reducing the unpredictable risks of the predictable flu season
- The biggest pandemic risk? Viral misinformation
- Brown, Buehler in final debate for Oregon governor
- IDSA Statement
- CDC on acute flaccid myelitis
Recent podcasts from Outbreak News Interviews:
- Lymphatic filariasis elimination: ‘The Government of Vietnam really deserve congratulations’
- Hernias 101: What are they, who’s at risk and more
- Balamuthia, neti pots and a unique case report
- Trichomonas vaginalis treatment: New research shows multi-dose metronidazole is better in women
- Listeria monocytogenes: Who’s most at risk, pathology and common sources
- Bartonella and vampire bats: A look at the recent research