With the unusual, in fact, first time the viral disease monkeypox was reported not once but twice in England this past week, I thought it would be good to learn more about the disease.
Professor Emeritus of Pediatrics and Epidemiology at the Yale schools of Medicine and Public health and author of the book, Animal Viruses and Humans–A Narrow Divide, Warren Andiman, MD joined me in the first half for a primer on monkeypox.
During the second half, entomology professor with the UF Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, Jonathan Day, PhD joined me to discuss the mosquito-borne virus situation in the state of Florida to include Eastern Equine Encephalitis or EEE and West Nile Virus and how the public can protect themselves from mosquito bites.
The Outbreak News This Week Radio Show, the first and only radio program dedicated to infectious disease and health news and information, airs every Sunday at 1 pm ET in the Tampa Bay area on AM 1380 The Biz and online at http://1380thebiz.com/
- Rabies: History, myths and diagnosis on Outbreak News This Week
- Leptospirosis: Risk, symptoms, diagnosis and treatment
- Antibiotics: Fluoroquinolone prescribing in the US
- Infectious diseases: Some select ‘pearls’ with Sandra Gompf, MD
- Lyme disease in the US: The Quest Diagnostics Health Trends report
- Rat lungworm in the US: An interview with Dr Eugene Liu
- Chikungunya: An interview with Dr Roger Nasci