More than 32 million children under the age of five vaccinated in 130 districts across Pakistan during the immunization campaign. In addition to the polio drops, children (aged between 6-59 months) received Vitamin A supplements during the campaign started on 13 August.
According to the National Emergency Operations Centre for Polio Eradication, a total of 32,100,802 children have been vaccinated against poliovirus across the country.
“We have managed to achieve impressive coverage despite the challenging context of the COVID-19, hot weather and heavy rainfall. Our valiant trained frontline workers work hard to reach eligible children across the country. Children have also been administered Vitamin A supplements to strengthen their immune system for greater protection against diseases during this campaign. Celebrities, intellectuals and religious leaders have come forward to support the polio eradication efforts,” said Dr. Rana Muhammad Safdar, Coordinator of the National Emergency Operations Centre, Pakistan Polio Eradication program.
“Still, we have challenges to overcome. Data-driven analysis of challenges at the grassroots level helps us identify the underlying issues associated with missed children, pockets of refusals as well as reservoirs of poliovirus circulation. Strengthening essential immunization is also important to facilitate the interruption of all poliovirus transmission. The program is prioritizing essential immunization as part of the national agenda. I’m confident that we will be able to bring positive changes and make Pakistan polio-free so that no child remains at risk of contracting polio disease and getting paralyzed for life,” he further said while highlighting the challenges.
So far in 2020, Pakistan has reported 65 wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1) cases. in 2019, the country saw 147 cases.
- Smallpox vaccine: Bavarian Nordic announces topline results from study on freeze-dried formulation
- Sheep and goat plague virus: New research identifies livestock husbandry practices that increase transmission risk
- Shigella outbreak sickens nearly 500 in Anhui province, China
- Uganda: COVID-19 single day high, Yellow fever vaccination campaign, Suspected anthrax
- Ukraine: 3 meningococcal infections reported in Transcarpathia, ‘The problem with the availability of vaccines in our region is more acute than ever’
- New Zealand COVID-19 update, Auckland will stay at Alert Level 3 through Sunday
- Philippines report an additional 1000 COVID-19 cases from Manila area
- COVID-19: FDA issues EUA for convalescent plasma as potential treatment