By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
The global polio total has increased by five in the past week as Pakistan reported additional wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1). The five cases were reported in Bannu district (3) and one each in Charsadda district, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province and South Waziristan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.
This brings the total WPV1 cases in Pakistan to 53 and the global total to 65 (including 12 in Afghanistan).
In addition, a number of circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus type 2 (cVDPV2) in several African countries, including the first ever reported in Benin (Kalalé district, Borgou State).
Nigeria, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Angola reported two cVDPV2 each.
- TB drug: FDA approves Pretomanid Tablets, MSF says must be affordable
- Plague off to an early start in Madagacar
- Philippines dengue epidemic rises, increased cases can be expected through October
- Rift Valley Fever: Mayotte epidemic coming to a close?, CSU proactive research
- Measles induced ‘immune amnesia’
- Enterovirus antibodies detected in acute flaccid myelitis patients
- Anthrax in North Dakota: 1st case of the year in Billings County
- Leishmaniasis outbreak in Kenya nears 2,000 cases