By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
Pakistan reported an additional four wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1) cases this past week, one each in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Balochistan and two in Sindh.
According to the Global Polio Eradication Initiative, this brings the WPV1 total to 25 in Pakistan in 2020 to date.
The Deputy Commissioner Islamabad said that more than 117,000 children would be administered polio drops in Islamabad during the upcoming anti-polio campaign from March 16 to March 22. He said that it is a special campaign being launched after detecting a polio case in Rawalpindi and it would be launched in special zone from 9th Avenue to Tarnol.
He said that schools and religious seminaries would also be included in this campaign. All arrangements for this drive have been completed and it would be kicked off Monday.
In Africa, three countries reported circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus type 2 (cVDPV2) cases–Angola (1), Democratic Republic of the Congo (3) and Ghana (1).
- Qatar reports MERS coronavirus case in Doha
- Spain coronavirus outbreak grows, Nationwide lockdown imposed
- Italy reports 3,500 additional COVID-19 cases, Europe now the epicenter of the pandemic
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update: FDA Issues Emergency Use Authorization to Thermo Fisher
- Florida Keys: Local transmission of dengue reported
- Lyme disease: Stanford researchers say antibiotic, azlocillin, works well in mouse study
- Nigeria: Lassa fever outbreak now at 855 cases