In the 19 facilities of the Metropolitan Health Region, the authorities report that they maintain supplies of the oral drug miltefosine for the treatment of leishmaniasis.
“The oral treatment consists of 2 or 3 tablets daily for a period of 28 days, then they are followed up for five more months, with medical tests to determine their cure,” explained Celideth Vissuetti, a general practitioner and coordinator of the program for the elderly. in the Health Region.
Miltefosine treatment is not for children under 2 years of age weighing less than 10kg, pregnant women, people with Sjogren’s syndrome (an autoimmune disorder that reduces the amount of tears in the eyes and saliva in the mouth), or patients who are hypersensitive to the drug.
Before starting the process of using the drug in patients, the treating physician performs an evaluation with the complete clinical history to determine risk factors, in addition to the signature of the consent by the treating patient.
Among the mild side effects of treatment with Miltefosine are gastrointestinal disorders (nausea), headache, kidney, liver and skin, so the patient is recommended to eat well and hydrate before taking the drug.
The population is reminded that leishmaniasis is a curable disease with faithful compliance with the treatment and that the medication is available in the centers, polycenters and Minsa-Capsi in the metropolitan region.
In regional epidemiological statistical data, 54 confirmed cases of leishmaniasis are reported and the townships with the highest number of cases are 24 de Diciembre, Pedregal, Las Mañanitas and Ancón.
Health authorities recommend that the population protect themselves against mosquito bites by wearing long-sleeved shirts, long pants, mosquito nets, and insect repellent.
Leishmaniasis is a disease caused by the bite of an infected mosquito, which causes a skin rash.
- Measles in the DRC: More than 2,500 cases including 20 deaths recorded in Kasaï-Oriental
- Philippines dengue cases near 74,000 year to date
- Burkholderia pseudomallei, the agent of melioidosis, identified in environmental samples in Mississippi
- Ghana Marburg Virus Disease outbreak rises to 4 cases
- France monkeypox tally eclipses 1800 cases
- Ho Chi Minh City reports 294% increase in dengue fever cases in 2022
- Acute hepatitis cases of unknown origin in children linked to adeno-associated virus 2: Studies
- Brazil: Monkeypox situation ‘is very worrying’
- Colorado confirms first anthrax cases in cattle since 2012