By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
The Department of Health (DOH) on Monday said that an increase in COVID-19 cases is being experienced across all age groups and not just among children.
Health officials also say the Philippines has gone up to high-risk classification with a positive two-week growth rate (TWGR) at 47 percent.
DOH Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire reported an increase of 2,197 cases per day in the week of Aug. 1 to 7 at 8,695 cases per day compared to the previous week of July 25 to July 31 at 6,498 cases per day.
“We would like to flag the National Capital Region (NCR), CAR (Cordillera Administrative Region), Region 1, Region 2, Region 4A, Region 7 and Region 10 with high-risk classification based on its moderate risk TWGR and high-risk average daily attack rate (ADAR),” Vergeire said.
Twelve areas in the NCR have high-risk daily attack rates. These are the cities of Makati, San Juan, Pasay, Las Piñas, Muntinlupa, Parañaque, Valenzuela, Pasig, Mandaluyong, Taguig, Manila and Quezon City.
On Monday, the DOH reported local cases of the Delta coronavirus variant have been detected in 13 out of the 17 regions in the country.
The regions include the Ilocos Region, Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, the Bicol Region, Central Visayas, Eastern Visayas, Western Visayas, the Zamboanga Peninsula, Northern Mindanao, the Davao Region, Calabarzon, the Cordillera Administrative Region and the National Capital Region (NCR).
So far, the country has 450 Delta variant cases — 426 have recovered, 10 have died and 13 are active cases after revalidation and repeat RT-PCR conducted by local epidemiology and surveillance units.
All 17 areas in the NCR have local Delta variant cases.
- Democratic Republic of the Congo: 7 days in jail for not wearing a mask in Lubumbashi
- Vietnam COVID-19 cases reach 9,690 Sunday, A new daily record
- California: Tehama County child contracts Naegleria fowleri
- Measles: Local case reported in Ceará, First time in over a year
- Portugal COVID-19 update: Officials report decrease in hospital admissions
- Brazil yellow fever: Four dead howler monkeys found in Camaquã
- Portugal’s analysis of vaccinating adolescents aged 12-15 years against COVID-19
- Japan reports 1st confirmed case of infection with lambda variant