Philippines health officials and the public at large are mourning the tragic murder of of former Doctor to the Barrios (DTTB) volunteer, 31-year-old Dr. Dreyfuss Perlas on Wednesday.
According to local media reports, Perlas, was on his motorbike when an unidentified man shot him at the back. The bullet pierced his heart. The gunman and the motive for the killing have yet to be identified, police said.
The Philippines Department of Health released the following concerning Dr. Perlas death:
The Department of Health (DOH) is saddened by the news on the heinous death of its former Doctors to the Barrios Dr. Dreyfuss Perlas, the Municipal Health Officer of Sapad, province of Lanao del Norte.
He was killed yesterday evening by an unidentified assailant in Kapatagan, Lanao del Norte. He is 31 years old.
The DOH deplores this act of violence. We lost a worthy public servant at a time when there is greater need for their unselfish dedication to duty.
The DOH is extending its condolences to Perlas’ family and vows to support efforts until justice is served.
Another message was posted on the DOH Facebook page: We deeply mourn the loss of Dr. Dreyfuss Perlas, who was one of the few doctors who dared to work in difficult and underserved communities. The Philippines lost not only a doctor but a dedicated and exceptional true Doctor of the Barrio. #JusticeforDrey
- Philippines: Cebu, Bohol report cholera outbreak
- Philippines commits to ending Neglected Tropical Diseases by 2030
- Philippines report more than 200,000 dengue cases for a 2nd year
- Philippines Zika tally now 57, including seven pregnant women
- HIV in the Philippines: Condom distribution to ‘hopefully’ start in 2017
- Philippines FDA issues cease and desist order against Sanofi Pasteur for Dengvaxia ads
- Philippines: Ilocos Times columnist, Steve Barreiro, gunned down in front of daughter