By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
Officials with the Department of Health (DOH)-Davao are reporting the first confirmed case of meningococcemia this year in a four-year-old boy, who died at the Brokenshire Hospital Integrated Health Ministries.
DOH-Davao regional director Annabelle Yumang said that so far, none of those people who had contact with him have manifested any sign or symptoms that are similar to the case definition of meningococcemia.
Health officials will continue the surveillance and monitoring for 10 days after their last exposure to the patient.
Yumang said post-exposure prophylaxis was immediately administered to the pupils and teachers of a pre-school where the boy studied, family members, and emergency room staff of the hospital.
Meningococcemia is a bloodstream infection caused by bacteria that can also cause meningitis.
Meningococcemia is spread through close contact like kissing, sharing utensils with or drinking after an infected person.
Yumang said the city had 13 suspected cases of meningococcemia this year, three of them died.
- Chikungunya epidemic strikes 15,000 in Ethiopia
- Dengue epidemic: More than 70K cases in Bangladesh
- Spain Listeria outbreak: More than 200 cases, 3 deaths
- West Nile virus: 1st cases reported in Montana this year
- Measles outbreak grows in Auckland
- Rhode Island reports 1st human Eastern Equine Encephalitis case since 2010
- Outbreak News Across the Globe, Episode 2
- Canada: Syphilis rising in Ottawa