By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
In a follow-up on the plague situation in the Ituri endemic focus of Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Djugu territory, officials with Ecohealth Alliance said in a post on ProMED-mail that the cases have risen to 29 (17 female, 12 male) with 6 deaths (CFR = 0.2).
Patients are now reported from 10 villages in 5 health areas (Kpandroma 2 cases, Lokpa 23, Ngri Balo 1, Rassia 2 and Uketha 1) located within the Rethy Health zone.
An investigation team been pursuing contact tracing, ensuring dignified and safe burials, and taking care of chemoprophylaxis distribution; however, multiple factors including militia in the region have slowed down and impaired a swift response.
There are concerns the situation could evolve into a into a pneumonic plague outbreak.
- Ebola: 10th outbreak in DRC declared over, The risk of re-emergence of the virus remains
- Brazil reports 42,725 additional COVID-19 cases, Eduardo Pazuello presents actions to combat the coronavirus
- Fast Track Designation of RLF-100 for the treatment of Acute Lung Injury/Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome associated with COVID-19
- Salmonella cases surge in multistate outbreak
- Oklahoma: Swan Bros. Dairy and the Raw Milk Campylobacter Outbreak
- CDC issues health alert over antibiotic resistant Neisseria meningitidis