In a follow-up to a story yesterday, The South China Morning Post reports via state media today that the man in the northwestern province of Gansu died of pneumonic plague on Wednesday.
The 38-year-old man contracting the deadly bacterium after having closer contact with a marmot while herding. Yumen city, where the patient was being treated, and the man’s home village and town along with the pasture where he worked were also in quarantine.
In August 2009, an outbreak of pneumonic plague was reported in Qinghai province after a herdsman then also had contact with a marmot. For more infectious disease news and information, visit and “like” the Infectious Disease News Facebook page