UN health officials are reported seven additional Circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus (cVDPV2) cases–5 cases from Mayadeen and 1 from Boukamal districts, Deir Ez-Zor governorate, and 1 case from Thawra district (newly infected), Raqqa governorate in the past week.
This brings the total cases to 47.
Poliovirus has been isolated from stool samples collected from a healthy child in Damascus, as part of screening in place for IDPs from Deir Ez-Zor and Raqqa.
The national response plan currently includes two immunization rounds each in Deir Ez-Zor and Raqqa governorates.
In Pakistan, one new wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1) case was reported in the past week. The case occurred in Lakki Marwat district, Khyber Pakhtoon province. Onset of paralysis was on 21 August. The total number of WPV1 cases for 2017 is now 5.
Year-to-date, 11 WPV-1 cases have been reported (including 6 in Afghanistan).
- Paratyphoid Fever outbreak reaches 10 cases in Hawke’s Bay
- Brain damage caused by Zika exposure in utero can be detected by both fetal MRI and ultrasound
- FDA warns of severe vision loss associated with eye injections of a compounded drug containing vancomycin
- Campylobacter outbreak linked to puppies rises by 16 cases, antibiotic resistance noted
- LymeDisease.org’s Lorraine Johnson discusses MyLymeData and a new NSF grant
- Japanese encephalitis: Philippine pediatricians release position paper