By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
In the latest on the global polio situation this year, the Global Polio Eradication Initiative (GPEI) reports two additional wild poliovirus type 1 (WPV1) cases and ten more circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus cases from five countries.
In Afghanistan, two WPV1 cases have been reported from Tirinkot and Chora districts, Uruzgan province.
This brings Afghanistan’s total to 15 this year and 73 when you include the 58 cases in Pakistan.
One circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus type 1 (cVDPV1) has been reported in Papun district, Kayin province, Myanmar, bringing the country total to four in 2019.
In Angola, two cases of circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus type 2 (cVDPV2) have been reported: one from Cassongue district, Cuanza Sul province; and, one from Saurimo district, Lunda Sul State.
Angola has seen 8 cases this year to date.
Ethiopia reported one additional cVDPV2 case in Warder/Doolo, Somali province. There are two cVDPV2 cases reported in 2019.
Last but not least, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) saw six additional circulating vaccine-derived poliovirus type 2 (cVDPV2) cases–one from Kamuesha, Kasai provinve one from Malemba-Nkulu district, Haut Lomami province; one each from Djalo-Ndjeka, two from Dikungu one from Tshumbe, Sankuru province.
DRC has reported 29 cases in 2019.
- Brazil measles: 98 percent of cases reported in São Paulo
- Ethiopia: Chikungunya outbreak reaches 20,000 cases
- E. coli outbreak: Philadelphia officials issue an alert
- Plasmodium falciparum genetic diversity across Sub-Saharan Africa: Study
- Lyme disease: Ionica Sciences test, IonLyme, expected to be available next year
- Thailand reports two dozen Streptococcus suis deaths to date
- Thailand dengue cases top 55K, Bangkok reports 3 deaths