By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
Portuguese health authorities report with the administration of about 15.3 million vaccines in mainland Portugal, the goal of having 85% of the population fully vaccinated against COVID-19 was achieved.
Portugal becomes the first country in the world to reach the target of 85% of the vaccinated population, with around 8.4 million people having completed the complete vaccination schedule.
The Director-General of Health, Graça Freitas, stated that October 9 was a “happy day”, stressing that this goal was achieved by having given “an opportunity to everyone, without distinction from anyone, to be vaccinated”.
For Graça Freitas, overcoming that goal is “a pride” for the country, having highlighted, in statements to Lusa agency, that this was only achieved with the collaboration of the population of professionals involved in vaccination and the Task Force.
The Ministry of Health said in a statement that, in relation to the adolescent population, between 12 and 17 years old, in mainland Portugal, it is estimated that around 88% have already started their vaccination scheme, and, of these, 83 % will already have full vaccination.
“This important milestone was only possible thanks to the commitment and efforts of all health professionals and other entities involved in this vaccination campaign, including the armed forces, security forces and local authorities”, he stressed.
In the same communiqué, the Ministry of Health praises “the strong adhesion of the population to this vaccination campaign, an essential contribution for Portugal to reach the defined goals”, concluding that “the Portuguese trusted in science, in vaccines and in their benefits”.
- Japan reports an additional 900 syphilis cases in past month
- Outbreak News This Week 10-9-2021: Polio in Ukraine and other news
- Bangladesh adds additional Nipah virus case/death to 2020 tally
- Bolivia: Nearly 7 million people have been vaccinated against COVID-19
- Plasmodium vivax, the second most common malaria parasite, takes unrealized toll on human health
- Sweden and Norway pause use of Moderna vaccine due to Myocarditis risk
- Florida declares hepatitis A outbreak over
- Ebola reemerges in North Kivu, DRC