By NewsDesk @infectiousdiseasenews
On Monday, the Directorate-General for Health (DGS) in Portugal reported 1,126 new cases of COVID-19 and six new deaths. The DGS says that 733 patients are hospitalized, while 151 patients are in ICU.
The deaths occurred in the Lisbon and Vale do Tejo region (2), in the North region (2), in the Center region (1) in the Algarve (1). Regarding the ages of the victims, four were over 80 years old, one between 70 and 79 and one between 60 and 69.
Since the beginning of the pandemic, Portugal has registered 17,645 deaths and 1,020,546 cases of SARS-CoV-2 infection.
In an interview with SIC Notícias. Virologist Pedro Simas gave his thoughts on several issues related to COVID-19.
Concerning isolation and masks, Simas said the isolation of vaccinated people without clinical signs of infection after contact with a positive case of covid-19 is not justified: “Vaccinated people have very great protection”.
As for the use of a mask, Simas notes:
“We are at the time when we can remove the masks. It is important that we remove the masks to restore the endemic circulation of other respiratory viruses.”
And for the 3rd vaccine dose, or booster: About the target of 85% of the vaccinated population, the specialist considers it feasible. However, he says he’s not “very worried” if he doesn’t get hit. “The coverage we already have is very good,” he says.
He also said that a third dose is “expected” for the most vulnerable groups “out of prudence”. However, it feels that it is not necessary.
- Spain: Seville woman dies from West Nile virus
- Suspect hemorrhagic fever case prompts investigation in Burkina Faso: Media report
- Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, Comirnaty, receives FDA approval
- China reports 3rd human H5N6 avian influenza case in a week
- HIV in General Santos City: ‘Our cases are getting younger’
- Philippines report another 466 Delta variant cases
- Immune Response to COVID-19 May Be Proportional to Illness Severity, Duration
- Potential Overuse of Antibiotics Found in Patients with Severe COVID-19 Pneumonia
- FDA ivermectin warning: You are not a horse. You are not a cow. Seriously, y’all. Stop it.