By NewsDesk @bactiman63
In Portugal (computer translated), The National Institute of Health Doctor Ricardo Jorge (INSA), through its Department of Infectious Diseases, analyzed, on November 28, a batch of 13 positive samples associated with cases of infection in Belenenses SAD players, given that one of the cases was positive.
He probably had a recent trip to South Africa. He also analyzed samples from 218 passengers on a flight from Maputo that landed, on November 27, at Lisbon airport.
Preliminary tests carried out at INSA strongly suggest that all 13 cases associated with Belenenses SAD players are related to the Omicron concern variant. In order to guarantee the breaking of transmission chains and following the precautionary principle in Public Health, while awaiting more information regarding the transmission, impact and vaccine effectiveness against the Ómicron variant, the Health Authorities determined the prophylactic isolation of case contacts associated with this outbreak, regardless of vaccination status and level of exposure.
Subscribe to Outbreak News TV on YouTube
This new genetic variant of the new coronavirus, initially identified in South Africa and some southern African countries, has also been identified in recent days in some European countries. However, there is still no scientific data to support its greater transmissibility or its ability to decrease the effectiveness of current vaccines.
Health Authorities throughout the territory are strengthening epidemiological surveillance, implementing control measures, with the prophylactic isolation of contacts of cases of infection by the Omicron variant or with a history of travel to southern Africa in the previous 14 days, regardless of the state vaccine, by the principle of precaution in Public Health. The INSA will also continue to monitor the genetic variants of the new coronavirus on a continuous basis through the analysis of samples with national representation, as well as the analysis of suspected cases that are identified by the Health Authorities or by collaborating laboratories.
- Scotland reports 6 Omicron cases in Lanarkshire and Greater Glasgow & Clyde
- Canada reports two cases of the Omicron variant of concern in Ontario
- Increasing seasonal influenza A (H3N2) activity: CDC health advisory
- It is possible that lockdown will go down as one of the greatest peacetime policy failures in modern history
- Did Dr. Fauci say malaria was nearly non-existent in the US due to vaccines?
- Canada: Cyanide poisoning risk prompts recall of One Tang Bitter Apricot Kernel sold in British Columbia
- Netherlands reports 13 Omicron cases in airline travelers
- Finland institutes health security measures at border crossing points due to Omicron
- Israel ‘red list’ now includes 50 African countries
2 thoughts on “Portugal reports 13 Omicron cases among Belenenses SAD players”