By NewsDesk @bactiman63
The Zhejiang Province, China Center for Disease Control and Prevention is reporting an outbreak of psittacosis, aka parrot fever, in Lishui City, according to Chinese media.
Since the first cases were reported one month ago, seven total cases have been reported. A total of seven cases have been reported, including one individual still hospitalized and one fatality.
An investigation and surveillance into the outbreak has been instituted and no additional cases have been detected.
The provincial and municipal CDCs jointly carried out external environmental (bird swabs, feces and related pollutants) specimens monitoring, collected 74 specimens and 6 were positive for Chlamydophila psittaci, the agent of psittacosis.
The local CDC cooperated with the agricultural department immediately culling the poultry in the case’s home and carry out comprehensive disinfection of the case’s residence, poultry house, poultry free-range breeding ground and other related places, and strengthen the publicity and education of villagers’ psittacosis prevention knowledge.
Psittacosis is a disease caused by bacteria called Chlamydophila psittaci. It is usually transmitted by inhaling the agent from dried droppings or secretions of infected birds.
Subscribe to Outbreak News TV on YouTube
Patients with psittacosis usually present fever, headache, rash, muscle pain, chills and dry cough. Pneumonia may sometimes occur, and occasional complications include encephalitis, myocarditis and thrombophlebitis.
The disease can be treated effectively with antibiotics. The disease is not normally transmitted from person to person.
- Bangladesh dengue fever tally tops 20,000
- Pakistan: 5% of blood donors in Sindh were positive for one or more infectious disease
- Pakistan dengue numbers rise as hospital bed shortages are reported
- Los Angeles reports 120 leptospirosis cases in dogs since April
- COVID-19 pandemic led to stark rise in depressive and anxiety disorders globally in 2020
- Portugal achieves 85% complete vaccination, 1st country to reach target
- Japan reports an additional 900 syphilis cases in past month
- Outbreak News This Week 10-9-2021: Polio in Ukraine and other news
- Bangladesh adds additional Nipah virus case/death to 2020 tally
One thought on “Psittacosis outbreak in Lishui City, Zhejiang Province”