A one-horned rhinoceros has died from apparent anthrax at a zoo in Sepahijala Wildlife Sanctuary in Tripura, India, according to a Business Standard report Friday.

Indian rhino Image/Ltshears
Indian rhino

The 24-year-old rhino named Pradip was brought to the sanctuary in 1994.

“It was found that the rhino was lying on the ground with blood oozing out of its nose and anus. The zoo authorities contacted a Guwahati-based veterinary specialist for remedies, but the rhino did not take the oral medicine and died,” Principal Secretary Dr V K Bahuguna said.

Bahuguna said initial examination on the rhino shows it had anthrax.

LISTEN: Dr Floron (Buddy) C. Faries, Professor & Extension Veterinarian, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service and with the National Center for Foreign Animal & Zoonotic Disease Defense discusses animal anthrax Nov. 19, 2013. 

Anthrax is a serious infectious disease caused by gram-positive, rod-shaped bacteria known as Bacillus anthracis. Domestic and wild animals such as cattle, sheep, goats, antelope, and deer can become infected when they breathe in or ingest spores in contaminated soil, plants, or water.

Although it is rare, people can get sick with anthrax if they come in contact with infected animals or contaminated animal products.

Contact with anthrax can cause severe illness in both humans and animals.

For more infectious disease news and information, visit and “like” the Infectious Disease News Facebook page