Today it was reported that the Pentagon mail facility received two pieces of mail Monday that initially tested positive for the toxin, ricin.
CNN reports that the letters were addressed to Secretary of Defense James Mattis and to Chief of Naval Operations, Admiral John Richardson. It was latter reported that one piece of mail was also addressed to President Trump.
To answer some questions about ricin is Senior Scholar at the Johns Hopkins University Center for Health Security, Amesh Adalja, MD.
- Bioterrorism, antibiotic resistance and pandemic flu: Discussing ‘Deadliest Enemy’
- Bioterrorism at the salad bar: 30 years ago in US history
- Undocumented immigrants and the import of infectious diseases: A real health security risk to the US?
- Aum Shinrikyo: A look back at the terror
- Germ Bank Security: Safeguards for a new age of challenges
- Dark Biology: When microbes become the ultimate weapon
- Talking Hepatitis A with Dr Amesh Adalja
- Pennsylvania Lyme disease: An interview with Dr Amesh Adalja
- Troubling statements about vaccines: Gloria Copeland and Milwaukee’s Patricia McManus
- Raw water: ‘In defiance of everything science tells us’
- Diphtheria: A short history, the disease, treatment and the success of the vaccines
- Totalitarian governments spawn infectious disease outbreaks that place other countries at risk
- Global pandemic pathogen: Characteristics, host factors