Federal health officials are reporting that some 219 passengers and crew suffered with symptoms of vomiting and diarrhea during a recent Princess Cruises’ Ruby Princess voyage (RU305P from February 26–March 5, 2023).
To date, the etiology of the illness has not been discovered.
In response to the outbreak, Princess Cruises and the crew aboard the ship reported the following actions:
- Increased cleaning and disinfection procedures according to the ship’s outbreak prevention and response plan.
- Collected stool specimens from gastrointestinal illness cases to send to the CDC lab for pathogenic identification.
Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP) epidemiologists and environmental health officers will board the ship in Galveston, Texas, on March 5 to conduct a formal outbreak investigation.
Subscribe to Outbreak News TV on YouTube
- Bolivia dengue cases top 12,000, Hospitals overwhelmed
- Southwest District Health officials say syphilis cases remain high
- South Africa reports 6 cholera cases, including 2 indigenous cases
- Idaho: Health officials declare syphilis outbreak in Boise, other counties
- Brazil: Mad cow case confirmed as atypical
- CDC: ‘Undetermined number of these people may have been exposed’ to measles at Asbury University