By Jory Lange
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinal reports, “Outpost Natural Foods’ main kitchen in Bay View remains closed as it searches for the source of Salmonella contamination that has sickened multiple people.” The Wisconsin Department of Health Services says, “Insanitary conditions were discovered during a routine inspection and ready-to-eat products tested positive for Salmonella.” Wisconsin suspended the company’s meat establishment license and Milwaukee suspended its retail food processing.
In the wake of the Outpost Natural Foods Salmonella outbreak, the company has recalled these food items prepared at its main kitchen:
- Cookies, desert bars, cakes, cupcakes, pies and tea breads baked at Outpost Natural Foods’ bakery; and
- Pizzas, soups, entrees and side dishes from the hot bar, burritos, pot pies, turnovers, burgers, quiche, dips and spreads, Grab and Go entrees and sides, salads, sandwiches, and wraps.
Common Salmonella symptoms include diarrhea (which can be bloody), fever, and stomach cramps. Some people may also experience nausea, vomiting, or headaches. Salmonella symptoms usually start within 6 hours–4 days after ingesting the contaminated food. They can 4–7 days.
Salmonella symptoms can also include:
- Diarrhea and a fever higher than 102°F
- Diarrhea for more than 3 days that is not improving
- Bloody stools
- Prolonged vomiting that prevents you from keeping liquids down
- Signs of dehydration can include:
- Making very little urine
- Dry mouth and throat
- Dizziness when standing up
- Massachusetts reports 4 additional EEE cases in horses
- El Paso West Nile virus cases rise to 13
- Pakistan reports 5 more polio cases, Global total now 71
- Cyclospora cases in the US near 1,700
- Anthrax kills 7 animals in southeastern Saskatchewan
- Europe: Four countries lose measles elimination status
- Texas is in the Midst of a Cyclospora Outbreak
One thought on “Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Milwaukee’s Outpost Natural Foods”